Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Returning to Mexico

ottawacitizen.com
Richard Ellis
Often, stories published about tourists in Mexico are horror stories. During a month's stay in Queretaro, we took a day trip by bus. Back in our apartment, I realized that I had left my wallet in the taxi. My limited Spanish is not enough to carry on a telephone conversation, but I knew the bus terminal authorities could identify the taxi. To get the phone number for the terminal, I went to the Plaza de Armas, where I knew there would be help. I talked to one policeman, who couldn't help much, so he radioed for another officer who knew more English. We moved to the State Tourist Bureau where a young lady developed a plan that required my return to the terminal. Since I had no money, the police drove me.

On arrival, the police explained everything to the terminal official, who took down the details. She gave me her cellphone number so I could contact her. Then the police drove me back to the Plaza de Armas. That evening, there was a note tucked in our door with a cellphone number. I called - it was the taxi driver. Within 20 minutes he arrived, my wallet in a plastic bag. Incidentally, the cash was probably at least a month's earnings for the average Mexican.

The next day I walked to the plaza and thanked some of the officials. Two evenings later, a policeman stopped me - recognizing me, he asked if I had found my wallet. Another day, we hired the same driver for an early call. He arrived on time, and handed us a package of fresh, still-warm cookies as we got in the taxi.

The vast majority of Mexicans are hard-working people who earn very little money, certainly based on North American standards. However, their value system is different from ours, and, in my view, superior. Family and relationships come first, followed by money and possessions. That's why so many of us return again and again.

Richard Ellis,
Ottawa

No comments:

Post a Comment